Latest News Article

A popular trend - Advertising on Other Servers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

easterislandguy

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

A popular trend - Advertising on Other Servers

Hey guys, I would like to discuss about something server owners are getting more and more these days: players who advertise on other servers. Recently, a player came onto my server and started advertising his server. Our staff team dealt with him and we decided to come on his server and confront the owner. During a somewhat long conversation with him, we discovered something extremely surprising. The owner encourages advertising on other servers and rewards players who do so. Obviously, he didn't like our confrontation and eventually banned us. I contacted my friends (server owners) and after a bit of research here and there, owners encouraging advertisement on other servers is becoming more and more popular.

So, I felt the need to write this blog, to inform the community that advertising on other servers is bad. First of all, let's ask ourselves, why do these players advertise on other servers? To annoy the staff members? To get more players? If they want to annoy the staff members, it will certainly work. But to get more players? The only players that you'll have a chance to get are kids to will want a fast promotion. Advertising your server on someone else's just lowers the honour and dignity of your server by a whole lot. It will just get people to badmouth your server. I personally would never let one of my own players advertise my server on other people's.

Of course, people are coming up now with more and more plugins that blocks advertisement. However, we all know that the only ones who can really stop this trend are the ones that are doing it. We already have Planet Minecraft and these forums for that kind of stuff. You'll most likely get more players by doing this than by advertising on other servers. So, take a step back, think about what you just did, and there will be a change in this community.

Thanks for reading this guys, I hope you enjoyed it. I would love to hear your opinions on this and thanks for your time!

Register or log in to remove.

Kitarn
      Kitarn

Stone Miner

• Members
    • 75 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

It's a form of spam and IMO no different than the spam internet forums have long dealt with. By signing up with the sole purpose of promoting one's website (or server in this case) the user is not being productive and should expect to see a ban coming.

It would be advisable for servers to put up rules similar to the ones forums have already.

easterislandguy

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I agree, unfortunately, these type of things are nearly impossible to put an end to.

GerbilCrab475

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

I go on an advertiser's server and start blowing it up. Or I manipulate the eight year old admins.

Posted Image
        ^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^

Phantom_Zelon
        • Minecraft: Phantom_Zelon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Well, it really depends to me what kind of advertizing it is. If it is something such as in bold chat "HEY GUYS JOIN DIS SERVER MC.NOTAFAKEPLZJOIN.COM PLZ WE AZ NO LAG!!!!"

If it was something like "/msg MinecraftFriend Hey dude I have a server, since you are a good friend here's the ip ______" then I don't mind it. As long as a msg is not sent out to everyone, I'm fine. If people don't have skype, steam, or any other communication to tell eachother servers, then privately telling somebody a server ip and only maybe 1-2 are msged with the IP, I'm fine with it. If people need to communicate  they can. If somebody just goes on a server andrandomy spams their IP, I'm not fine.
        <コ:彡 Posted Image
        Spoiler:
        Posted Image

The_Fool76
          The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
        • Curse Premium
        • 3038 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Ugh.  That's a horrible trend.  Gold sellers in MMOs are bad enough, last thing we need are server advertisments.

If the problem with a server persists, I'd contact whatever server host they are using (if they have one) and file a complaint.  Who knows, you might get lucky and they might take the whole server down. (Yes, I think that's an appropriate punishment for spamming other servers.)
        Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
        Posted Image

AnOrdinaryGirl
        • Minecraft: AnOrdinaryGirl

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

I really hate advertising on servers anyway as it just fills up the chat with unnecessary stuff. But advertising other peoples servers on the server I play on gets extremely annoying. We have had 3 or 4 players who have done this and I've just kicked them and if they come back on and repetitively advertise then I just ban them.

If someone wants to join the server then they will. People spreading the word on other servers are going to annoy the players more and make them not want to join the server

Zelefant

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

one of my FRIENDS got banned for ads... he really didnt look like the ad type, but he did.
        Spoiler:

http://www.minecraftanonymous.com/assets/banners/banner_83 .png [SSSS]

thejbanto

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think a bigger problem is people from the server being advertised on going to the advertised servers to grief it and annoy the staff to get revenge. I used to own a server and had several instances where some of my players mentioned my server's ip on other server's public chat and the staff/players on that server came onto mine and tried to grief it and one time they tried to DDoS it despite me insisting I knew nothing about it.

Kitarn
            Kitarn

Stone Miner

• Members
          • 75 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Posteasterislandguy, on 01 August 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

I agree, unfortunately, these type of things are nearly impossible to put an end to.

One option would be to use an extra layer of defense. By forcing users to register at a website you would most likely reduce the number of ad-spammers, as they are much likely to spam at servers that are more easily accessible.
            Unfortunately, by doing so you would also hit regular users in the process. (One can of course always argue about the level of enthusiasm of users who would be discouraged by such minor delays.)

easterislandguy

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postthejbanto, on 01 August 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

I think a bigger problem is people from the server being advertised on going to the advertised servers to grief it and annoy the staff to get revenge. I used to own a server and had several instances where some of my players mentioned my server's ip on other server's public chat and the staff/players on that server came onto mine and tried to grief it and one time they tried to DDoS it despite me insisting I knew nothing about it.
              Yeah it just makes things worse, creating a sort of rivalry between two servers, and next thing you know, all hell breaks loose.

BaccarWozat
              • Minecraft: Wozat

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

The Judge Dredd comic had something similar to this, with people saying how great their apartment block was and annoying those in other apartment blocks.

Yes... it was called "Block Wars".
              Posted Image

LiLChris
                LiLChris

Obsidian Miner

• Members
              • 1232 posts
              • Minecraft: LiLChris06

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I get 4-5 players that come to my server and spam a day.
              Sometimes I kindly visit them and talk to the owner and give them tips on why they shouldn't do what they did.
              Usually they ban me with a "trololol" reason or cursing me out.

Some will continue all day sending every player and promising drop parties and OP.
              It's really sad people have to do such things to start a server.

FarSolar
              • Minecraft: FarSolar

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Those advertisers get rly annoying huh? Makes u wanna go and visit their server just to grief
              24/7 Bukkit Survival Server With mcMMO, Economy, And Many Others. Check Out Our Website At http://farcaverns.enjin.com And Our Live Global Map At http://66.85.146.242:8125 IP: farcaverns.mcpro.co

Kitarn
                Kitarn

Stone Miner

• Members
              • 75 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostFarSolar, on 01 August 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Those advertisers get rly annoying huh? Makes u wanna go and visit their server just to grief
                Which would only serve to aggravate the problem..

LiLChris
                  LiLChris

Obsidian Miner

• Members
                • 1232 posts
                • Minecraft: LiLChris06

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostFarSolar, on 01 August 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

No, an eye for an eye makes the world blind.
                Doing that only makes it worse and encourages this behavior.

I rather try to talk to them and help them out instead of doing more harm.

FarSolar
                • Minecraft: FarSolar

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostKitarn, on 01 August 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Which would only serve to aggravate the problem..

lol by that i ment it makes you want to. Not actually do it which i agree, would just make it worse and your two servers would end up just griefing eachother
                24/7 Bukkit Survival Server With mcMMO, Economy, And Many Others. Check Out Our Website At http://farcaverns.enjin.com And Our Live Global Map At http://66.85.146.242:8125 IP: farcaverns.mcpro.co

easterislandguy

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostFarSolar, on 01 August 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

lol by that i ment it makes you want to. Not actually do it which i agree, would just make it worse and your two servers would end up just griefing eachother
                  Yeah keeping that little feeling for revenge inside of you is usually the best thing to do.